Saturday, November 20, 2010

Food....and Stress

Usually a title like this would mean that I was eating a lot because I was stressed out - not really. Actually sometimes I spend so much time making food that Genni can eat that I forget to make anything for myself. Eric usually does a lot of the cooking and he has been away a lot because of London, so this entry is definitely not about me eating.

About a month ago we noticed that Genni was having reactions that she usually has if she eats something she shouldn't (used to be milk and soy). We thought that first week that something was just contaminated...then the next week I tried to cut wheat out because I thought it happened when she ate bread and wraps and such. Then the next week I cut eggs out because there had been mayo on the wrap too that we noticed her breaking out directly after. Then the next week I cut BOTH of the out. By last Saturday her face was very much improved - actually normal again. Her eczema was clearing up and I was so happy we had found the solution. EXCEPT - that night she had rice noodles and pasta sauce from our garden....that morning her eyes where red again. Did Eric thicken the sauce with some flour? Could be...OK so no more sauce from the garden. Her face still isn't normal a week later. I don't know if it's because it takes awhile to wear off or if something else was contaminated along the way this week. I'm going to eliminate the salami from her diet (although she loves it) till I can figure out if it has any fillers. At this point all the food we make for her is totally allergen free (of the top 8 allergens that make up 90% of the allergies people have). The Dr. refered us to an allergist, but she can't get in with them till the end of December. ADD to that the fact that she has become incredibly picky and doesn't eat much at all during the day....all this equals one worried mama. I just keep applying lotion, looking up recipes, and cleaning the many dishes that are the result of all this baking. Some of the recipes are really good actually - I made pancakes that taste great, red velvet cake tasted great too - going to need to make some kind of pizza for her today because she is going to a birthday party. The flour tortilla's didn't work out that great but I might try them again because she loves wraps. The mayo is OK - bread is still a learning experience. Eric and I both say we don't mind adjusting....we just want to know what it is. Not to mention the fact that her behaviour is worse when she is having a reaction and she itches like she is going through withdrawl!

Well my next project today after I put on some laundry is to make a list of all the things I need to bring from the pantry with us to NH for Thanksgiving...we will tackle eating out and cooking in someone else's house for her. I'm thinking about making up cards for when we go out to eat that list her allergies so that the waitress doesn't have to write it down. Something like : my daughter is 4 and allergic to wheat, egg, milk and soy. Please do not use vegetable oil or butter to cook her meat in - canola oil and olive oil are fine. All my reading indicates that she had a 20% chance of having food allergies because Eric's mom has them - lets hope that Liam falls in to the 80% instead :). As I'm typing this Liam is trying really hard to crawl forward...he moves so fast rolling all over and crab walking on his head and heels while on his back.

Well I caught up on one issue...tomorrow I'll try to get some pictures up from Ocean City/camping and Busch Gardens...Till then!

No comments: